Giant Red Drum Fishing (Aug. and Sept.):
Prices Starting at:
Half Day (5hr): $550
Full Day (~8hr): $750
Split Day (AM and PM): $900
From August through the end of September, the Neuse river holds a spawning migration of mature adult red drum or as we call them, "old drum." These fish range in size from 40-50+ inches. The world record red drum was actually caught in North Carolina at 94lbs! Time will tell if that record will ever be broken, but it is not uncommon to catch red drum over 50lbs in this fishery. We target these trophy fish with a variety of different techniques, but the bulk of our time is spent drifting with the trolling motor down and fishing around schools of baitfish and working the area with artificial lures in search of the drum that we hope are stalking the same bait schools that we are. This is a catch and release-only fishery, as these fish are very important to our spawning aggregation and are often older than the angler pursuing them. If you want to catch big fish on light tackle, this is the fishery for you! Come see what this is all about and catch a fish of a lifetime.
(Gallery of pictures below)
- Rates are for up to 2 anglers. Any additional anglers are $50 per person.
- $150 deposit to book a trip
- Half-day ~5 hours
- Full day ~ 8 hours
- Split days aren't always possible due to weather but, the idea is a morning session and an evening session interrupted by a lunch break either in Oriental or in Beaufort. These details are subject to change due to weather.
- If weather or emergency pushes us off the water early, a deal will be worked out. We are very fair and would not want to have our customers waste their money.
- Cancellation Policy: The captain reserves the right to cancel due to weather. The Captain will not take clients out in weather he knows will totally impair our ability to do what we set out to do, and he will definitely not risk your safety.
- Deposits will be refunded if the customer cancels 30 days or more before the trip.
- If you should decide to cancel within 30 days of the scheduled trip, you will not be refunded your deposit, unless we can find someone to fill your spot.
Individuals who dream to catch some big fish on a light tackle would find giant red drum fishing to be the perfect sport for themselves. The largest giant red drum caught till date weighed 94 lbs. Even if you do not find redfish that large, it is easy to catch the ones above 50 lbs when you fish with us. The best time to catch giant red drum is from August to the end of September. During this period, adult giant red drum fish migrate to the Neuse River for spawning.
You might want to remember that giant red drum fishing is a catch-and-release only fishery. You may either opt for a five-hour (half-day) trip or an eight-hour (full-day) trip. We try to split the full-day trips into two sessions, one in the morning and one in the evening. In between, we would have a lunch break either at Beaufort or at Oriental. However, the planning and schedule also depend on weather conditions.